Ghana Soccer | League Sunday | England League | League Fantasy | Spain League | Italy League | Nigeria League | Germany League | Football | Soccer | Ghana Soccernet
unibank logo

Subscribe to our RSS FeedGhana Soccer | League Sunday | England League | League Fantasy | Spain League | Italy League | Nigeria League | Germany League | Football | Soccer | Ghana Soccernet

Sola Ayew not surprised by Andre's snub for CAF Award

Posted On Thursday, 6th December 2012
Sola Ayew not surprised by Andre's snub for CAF Award

Andre Ayew dropped from final CAF shortlist for African Player of the Year Award

Sola Ayew says he is not surprised by CAF’s decision to drop Andre Ayew for the 2012 African Player of the Year Award.

The Ghana international was part of an initial five-man shortlist but failed to make the final cut when it was whittled down to three.

Cameroon midfielder Alexander Song shockingly made the shortlist alongside Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure ahead of the Olympique Marseille player despite not winning anything in Europe and was absent at the 2012 Nations Cup.

CAF’s highly contentious awards is likely to receive further bashing following the earlier snub of Christopher Katongo who captained Zambia to their first ever continental title earlier this year in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

But Sola Ayew says he is not surprised by the omission of his nephew for the award which will be handed out on December 20 in Accra.

“For me lets agree somebody like Andre has a long way to go,” he told Joy Sports.

“And lets also agree he is just coming back from injury and I don’t know their reason (for dropping him).

“We are not surprised, football is football so I am not surprised anyway.”

Ayew’s exclusion from the shortlist meant Ghana’s wait for the personal accolade is further extended since the last time, coincidentally, Andre’s father, Abedi Pele won it in 1993.

The 22-year-old becomes the third Ghanaian in the space of a month to have failed to make the final cut for a global award.

Christian Atsu and Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu were also snubbed for Europe’s Golden Boy and FIFA Goal of the Year Award respectively.

Related Images

READERS COMMENTS

  1. Allan says:

    The CAF award should be called CAF Francophone award because that is how it has become.If you are not french speaking you can not win it. Can somebody tell me what Song achieved in the year in question? There is a grand conspiracy in the CAF set up to rip off Anglophone players just because Ayew’s father supported Blatter for the FIFA top position. Gyan was set to win the award in 2010 after a wonderful outing only for it to be given Eto. People, look at the many times Ghanaian players have been over looked by CAF and you will understand something sinister is going on.From Osei Kuffour, Essien, Asamoah Gyan, Dede Ayew.I am beginning to wonder why Katongo was drop if this same play was the best during the Cup of Nation when Song was not even there.This is unfair and I think the Anglophone countries should protest or withdraw from this so called awards. It is fake

  2. Wasky says:

    Hahahaa!!! so funny isn’t it??? Issah Hayatou at his best again on corruption. My fellow Anglophones,please do not be surprised by the inclusion of Alexander Song in the final three because the only thing that has been consistent in the CFF (Confederation of Francophone Football) is their inconsistency in fighting corrupt Hayatou. Always he want everything to go to the French. What is his pedestal for the inclusion of Song in the last three?? is it because he got a transfer from Arsenal to Barcelona or what??? My brother Allan I concord what you said.I think it is time for the Anglophone countries to protest against this corrupt Francophone administration led by that corrupt Hayatou. Or I think it is time that Hayatou should publicise the criteria used to select players for this prestigious award of our beloved continent Africa.

  3. Zambian says:

    Let the corrupt CAF come up with their best 11 en we the fans come up with our own and settle this on the pitch, Issa and his corrupt minions take all the proceeds for AFCON en give the winners $2 million after spending 10 times the amount on preps, JOKERS.

  4. prince says:

    you guys kraa why you dey rush we all know drogba go take it , please ayew be my man , but if he is going to win it he has to carry his team and win some serious competitions, Did you guys see Drogba last year he was the main reason why Chelsea won the double, Did you all see Yaya toure , the engine of that midfield that helped them win the english League, Andre is my man but until he can carry a team he will sure win it ,

  5. NEZA says:

    What did song do finish yo story andre, katongo and yaya should be the finalist finish.

  6. @9geria says:

    Hahahaha, now you agree why Nigerians protested the exclusion of Chris Katongo? That stupid man called Hayatou has started killing African Football and now it is time we the Anglophones started organizing ourselves and flush out this old man from position. Corruption has reached his anus now.
    ABASH HAYATOU, VIVA ANGLOPHONE PLAYERS!!!
    We shall not allow any Francophone team to win next AFCON 2013 in SA.

  7. Zed says:

    9gria you ar right my bro.lets go anglophone players lets go its not over the sky is the limit for all of u.lastly i want 2 say go chipolopolo go as you have got a lethal come SA 2o13.

  8. DAN LARDI says:

    Sola tone down a bit.We know Dede has been taking of you.

  9. Yoyo says:

    The rejected Anglophone list should include super star J J Okocha. Ghana is the only African country that reached the world cup quarter finals that never had a player rewarded at the continental level .The others, Cameroon and Senegal had players rewarded.
    Caf should respect its own competition How can you ignore a player like Katongo whose effort helped his team win continental trophy.
    Caf shoud limit its initial selection to players who were outstanding both in the previous Caf competition and their clubs





Click Here For All Latest football news.

Live Radio

http://ghanasoccernet.com/new/images/banners/onair.gif 

Live TV

http://ghanasoccernet.com/new/images/banners/onair.gif

RELATED NEWS

LATEST HEADLINES

Ghana defender Samuel Inkoom claims latest West Ham interest  thumbnail

Ghana defender Samuel Inkoom claims latest West Ham interest

Ghana international Samuel Inkoom has claimed that West Ham United are one of five clubs looking to sign him.
Ghana star Emmanuel Frimpong sends NAKED pictures to fake fan after being pranked thumbnail

Ghana star Emmanuel Frimpong sends NAKED pictures to fake fan after being pranked

Emmanuel Frimpong sent naked snaps of himself to a sexy “fan” — only to find it was his teammates playing a prank
2014 World Cup: Jordan Ayew admits tough but exciting group games in Brazil  thumbnail

2014 World Cup: Jordan Ayew admits tough but exciting group games in Brazil

Ghana striker Jordan Ayew admits his country faces a difficult task to progress from group G ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
 2014 World Cup: Ghana defender Schlupp's injury not serious as feared, set for quick return thumbnail

2014 World Cup: Ghana defender Schlupp's injury not serious as feared, set for quick return

Leicester City defender Jeff Schlupp is still in the hunt for a place in Ghana's squad for the 2014 World Cup after tests revealed that the knee injury he suffered is not as serious as initially feared.
Andre Ayew makes 150th appearance for French powerhouse Marseille  thumbnail

Andre Ayew makes 150th appearance for French powerhouse Marseille

Andre Ayew broke new grounds over the weekend when he marked his 150th League appearance for French giants Olympique Marseille.
2014 World Cup: Ghana midfielder Mubarak Wakaso suffers minor injury in Russia thumbnail

2014 World Cup: Ghana midfielder Mubarak Wakaso suffers minor injury in Russia

Ghana midfielder Mubarak Wakaso picked up an injury during Rubin Kazan’s 2-1 win over Spartak Moscow but the severity has been played down ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
Loading...