Permutations: How Ghana can qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup
Following the draw between Germany and Ghana in that exciting game, the United States know that victory versus Portugal on Sunday will clinch a spot in the round of 16 of the World Cup.
Here are the other scenarios for the Black Stars:
- Sunday: United States vs. Portugal
- Thursday (noon ET): United States vs. Germany, Portugal vs. Ghana
For Ghana to stay in with a chance of qualifying, Portugal must beat the USA on Sunday.
This means Germany will be top of the group with four points, USA and Portugal will three apiece while Ghana will be bottom of the group with one point.
In the final game, Ghana must beat Portugal and Germany must beat the USA to the Black Stars to qualify directly with no questions asked.
The USA have got many scenarios going their way.
United States: Win vs. Portugal
- Advance to round of 16. Leaving just one spot to be clinched from the group
USA draw vs. Portugal
- USA advance with win/draw vs. Germany
- USA advance with loss to Germany AND Ghana-Portugal draw
- USA advance with loss to Germany AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker over Ghana-Portugal winner
USA Lose vs. Portugal
- Advance with win vs. Germany
- Advance with draw vs. Germany AND Portugal-Ghana draw AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker over Portugal
- Advance with draw vs. Germany AND Ghana win over Portugal AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker with Ghana
a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches
b) goal difference in all group matches
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee