Ghana midfielder Sulley Muntari’s late apology to coach Kwesi Appiah is the reason for his exclusion from the Black Stars squad to face Zambia but he will be considered for future matches, the Ghana FA boss Kwesi Nyantakyi has revealed.
The AC Milan wrote on Thursday to apologise for his actions towards the Black Stars manager after June’s World Cup qualifier against Lesotho.
Muntari also followed up with a phone call to the coach to apologise for his actions in the dressing in front of the other players.
But the apology came after coach Appiah had already finished his list for the match against Zambia which resulted in the decision to leave him out for next month’s match against Zambia.
Knowing that Kevin Prince-Boateng and Andre Ayew would write to confirm their availability for Ghana they were sent invites earlier while Muntari apology came out of the blue.
Ghana FA chief Kwesi Nyantakyi says Muntari will be considered for future matches as his apology came after the squad had been drawn up.
“Let me say from the onset we support the coach’s actions but before he takes these decisions there are consultations that go on, ” Nyantakyi said.
“We agreed with him that although Sulley had rendered an apology it came too late so he should be considered for future assignments and we understood him.”
Muntari’s apology has been accepted and will be considered for the subsequent matches in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.