A record gate proceed of GH¢320,000 ($160,000) was grossed from the Black Stars versus the Pharaohs of Egypt World Cup qualifying play-off, which Ghana won 6-1 at the Baba Yara Stadium last Tuesday.
The amount goes into the record books as the highest gate proceeds ever received from a football match in the country whether between club sides or national teams.
Ghana’s game against Zambia last September, which attracted one of the highest attendances, could bring in only GH¢221,000, which stood as the highest, but has been toppled by the latest figure by GH¢100,000.
The increment has largely been attributed to the increases in the face value of match tickets. For instance, a seat at the VIP attracted GH¢50 instead of the GH¢20 fans paid for the same seats in the previous game against Zambia.
But the money was yet to hit the account of the National Sports Authority (NSA) as their Kumasi officials were said to be computing various deductions to be made before an onward transfer into the respective accounts of the NSA and the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
A total of 85 per cent of the amount was expected to hit the account of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, while the remaining 15 per cent is expected to be deposited with the NSA for their various maintenance works.